Today’s Wellness Tip:
Make Drinking Water Not Just a Habit, But a Ritual of Gratitude
Everyone knows the importance of drinking water. Our bodies are majority water and need to stay hydrated. Yet we don’t always consume enough water without reminders or threats of poor health. Some people claim to not even LIKE water! That’s because we are bombarded with so many sugary substitutes in the forms of juice, sodas, sports drinks, etc. that our natural taste for this natural element has been perverted. Now we have apps to remind us to do what our bodies already know to do: drink water.
But rather than making drinking water a habit, make it a conscious ritual centered in gratitude. Gratitude that you have access to clean water at all, when so many around the world and even in your own area do not. Gratitude that the seemingly small act of drinking water has the significant impact of continuing your precious life by sustaining your precious body. Gratitude that you are a part of a divine system of marvelous creation that allows you to consume one of the basic elements of life.
Drinking water is not a chore, it is a gift. Water itself is not just some clear liquid, it is a miracle. Let us not take it for granted.
A Water Drinking Ritual:
- Pour your Self a cup of water, any amount. Use a clear cup if possible.
- For at least 10 seconds, gaze at the water and think about how wonderful a gift it is for you to have right in your hands.
- Out loud or in your mind, say “I am grateful for this water that gives life and sustains life.”
- Drink it in sincere appreciation while observing the sensations happening in your body as you do.
- Close with a mental or verbal “thank you.”